Online Business Data Visualization
CIS 310 - Business Data Visualization
Course prerequisites and requirements
To be successful in this course, we recommend English language fluency and computer literacy. Knowledge of basic mathematical & problem-solving skills is also recommended. Learners should be familiar with the concepts of measures, dimensions, and types of variables in data analytics.
We encourage you to make sure your laptop or desktop computer meets the technical requirements. Coursework must be completed on a laptop or desktop computer. Some course tools are not compatible with 2-in-1 or hybrid laptops (such as Google Chromebooks).
CIS 105 Computer Applications and Information Technology is strongly suggested as a prerequisite for success in this course.
Microsoft Excel is required for this course and not provided by ASU.
- Credits: 3
- Length: Self-paced or 8 weeks
- Cost: $25 + $400
What you’ll learn
- Identify when and what visual communication is appropriate to convey a message
- Identify enhancer and obstructer elements of good visualizations
- Recognize the fundamental characteristics of data for visual analysis
- Recognize different techniques for visually exploring and explaining data-based observations
- Build effective data visualizations in Excel and Tableau
- Use data visualizations to facilitate and enable decision making
What to expect in class
Readings, video lectures with examples, community discussions, reflection exercises, application tests, homework, and quizzes
Exams and grading
This course appears on your transcript identically to how it appears on the transcript of an enrolled ASU student who has taken the course on one of ASU’s campuses.
This course satisfies 3 credit hours at Arizona State University. It is strongly encouraged that you consult with your institution of choice to determine how these credits will be applied to their degree requirements prior to transferring your credit.