Online College Mathematics
MAT 142 - College Mathematics
The purpose of this course is to relate college-level mathematics to real-life problems. We will emphasize problem-solving techniques, specifically by means of discussing concepts including sets, probability, statistics, finance, and geometry. Students will apply basic college-level mathematics to real-life problems. Appropriate for students whose major does not require MAT 117 or 170.
Course prerequisites and requirements
To be successful in this course, we recommend English language fluency and computer literacy. We also encourage you to make sure your laptop or desktop computer meets the technical requirements. This course contains five proctored exams.
This course contains five proctored exams.
Next start date:
Mar. 07, 2023
- Credits: 3
- Length: 8 weeks
- Cost: $25 + $400
What you’ll learn
- Apply knowledge about set theory (sets, set notation, and set operations) to solve problems
- Apply basic counting techniques and probability theory to solve probability-based problems
- Apply a variety of statistical measures to solve problems
- Solve a variety of financial-based problems including problems involving simple and compound interest, annuities, and amortized loans
- Apply geometric concepts (dimensional analysis, perimeter, area, surface area, volume, similarity, proportions, and trigonometric function) to solve geometry-based problems
What to expect in class
Readings, lecture videos, practice assignments, written problem assignments, exam reviews, and unit exams
Exams and grading
Written Problem Solving Assignments
This course appears on your transcript identically to how it appears on the transcript of an enrolled ASU student who has taken the course on one of ASU’s campuses.
This course satisfies 3 credit hours toward the Mathematics (MA) General Studies requirement at Arizona State University. It is strongly encouraged that you consult with your institution of choice to determine how these credits will be applied to their degree requirements prior to transferring your credit.